Learning from the Past
I can say that my most memorable food experiences took place in my backyard. My dad raised animals strictly for comsumption. I've seen him slaughter and dress out chickens,rabbits, goats and a pig. It was bizarre to witness these events as a young child. However, those experiences opened a whole new, beautiful world to me. Can you imagine as a child to witness such an event? The very same food on my dinner plate was alive just hours before!
As an adult I now see the beauty in the simplicity. For my ancestors it was a means of survival. But to me now, it is living well.
To most people cooking is a chore, but not for me. I truly enjoy every aspect of cooking. It's nothing to me, to go to three or four different stores around town to buy the freshest produce or the best meat. I want to ensure that what I buy is used for it's intended purpose.
When you truly enjoy and love what you do failure is impossible. It's the basic principle "You get what you put into it!" So everyday to me is a wonderful culinary adventure. I pop in a cd and just have a party in my brightly painted kitchen while I cook. Through my food I feel I can express myself as an artist.
I like to say that food is the common denominator for everybody. Food has the ability to unify everybody, no matter your background or race. There are so many lessons to be learned from food, if you just pay attention. If you want to learn about any country, start with how and what they eat. I have learned so much about my own cultural background from food and it just seems to snowball from there.
History and food just seem to go hand and hand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment